Wednesday, April 21, 2010

autumn in my garden

Beautiful little crab apples, Autumn cropping raspberries and a red lime (which tastes amazing, especially in a dry martini!)

A Broccoli Raab seedling in a home-made hothouse (thanks Liz for the soda water bottles!), another Broccoli Raab seedling and carrots ready for harvest. I grew all these vegies from seed, there's nothing better than sitting down to a dinner of beautiful fresh vegies you have raised yourself from a tiny seed!

The last of the Autumn roses, the first camellias are blooming, and the white wind flowers are just finishing.


Ah - my fave time of year! The weather over the past few days has really been stunning. Up here in the hills there are tonnes of beautiful old deciduous trees, and they are turning the most gorgeous colours at the moment, it's the most beautiful time of year up here. I took a few snaps in my garden this morning and thought I'd share these with you all today. Righto - back to work! Got some magazine illos to work on today. I hope you are having a good week so far :)

4 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

Oh, your garden looks great! We've just re-designed our vegie garden to make it more productive,though hubby has way too many grand plans, fingers crossed...those roses are beautiful...

Tania Verdez said...

Beautiful, well done! I am intrigued by that lime, I've not seen one before. I agree it's just such a lovely time of the year.. very romantic and abundant. My favourite things!

Belinda said...

I so need to make room for a vegie garden. Does it take much work?

bee said...

Thank you lovelies! I found the lime at a native plant nursery, it's called a Red Centre Lime. I think it's ace - dainty little leaves and cute little red fruit that tastes super.
Bel - No I don't think a vegie patch takes much work, but then i love getting out there so it never feels like a chore! Most vegies are easy to care for if your soil is good. You do have to put a bit of work into creating decent soil but that's the only hard part. Other than that, all you really have to do is check for pests and liquid-fertilise every few of weeks with some seaweed solution or the like. Easy! I would say a couple of hours per week and you're done. Go for it!